Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thank You (A note on Thanksgiving)

Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped, And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.

Job 1:20-22

I want to take a moment and say thank you. I wish to thank those of you who have encouraged, and prayed, and read, and wept, and shared with me the last few months. I am grateful. Your words, even your visits alone, have been a source of encouragement. Thank you.

I am grateful for my wife, for her sacrifices and effort and love in raising our children and making this house a home. Brenda, I know that sometimes I am cryptic, and hard to understand. I thank you for your patience and for the incredible work you place on your own shoulders, especially when it is to make things easier, or more "homey" for me. I praise Him for you daily. Thank you.

I want to thank T for being my pastor and friend and lending me encouragement and forgiveness and guidance. Your example, your sacrifice of time, and prayers at odd hours, are humbling. I embrace you fellow servant. Thank you.

Jeremiah, Issac, my children, thank you sweet boys. Thank you for who you are. Your lives have not been easy and I am so grateful to have the privilege to guide you these past few years. Boys, I love you more than anything. I would give my life for you two without a moment’s hesitation. When I think about you my heart swells, and my eyes begin to water; you mean so much to me. If at some point, my children, you read these words, I want you to know that though I have struggled with the ramifications of your adoption, it has been a wonderful blessing to me that is worth far more than what it has cost. I adore you boys and I am very pleased with you. Thank you.

I want to thank my friends, my Moon Howlin’ buddies, who have listened to me around many camp fires and laid hands on me numerous times in our prayer room. May God bless you continually for your large hearts. Thank you.

Lastly, I want to thank my Lord God. I praise You Lord for Your unending grace that has sustained me, guided me, blessed me. Thank You for giving me hard lessons that have driven me closer to You. I worship You. This whole gig is less than a hundred years long and I am grateful for anything that makes this mortal life something that brings You honor. Thank you for everything, even for the brief time I had with my first child. Even for the physical discomforts that have made me reliant on others. Thank You for meaningful work. Thank You for giving me Your word to read, and a mind to hold it, and a heart to cherish it. Thank You, thank You, thank You!

All praises to the Lord God Almighty!


That day David first committed to Asaph and his associates this psalm of thanks to the LORD :

Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name;
make known among the nations what he has done.

Sing to him, sing praise to him;
tell of all his wonderful acts.

Glory in his holy name;
let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice.

Look to the LORD and his strength;
seek his face always.

Remember the wonders he has done,
his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced,

O descendants of Israel his servant,
O sons of Jacob, his chosen ones.

He is the LORD our God;
his judgments are in all the earth.

He remembers his covenant forever,
the word he commanded, for a thousand generations...

...Sing to the LORD, all the earth;
proclaim his salvation day after day.

Declare his glory among the nations,
his marvelous deeds among all peoples.

For great is the LORD and most worthy of praise;
he is to be feared above all gods.

For all the gods of the nations are idols,
but the LORD made the heavens.

Splendor and majesty are before him;
strength and joy in his dwelling place.

Ascribe to the LORD, O families of nations,
ascribe to the LORD glory and strength,

ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name.
Bring an offering and come before him;
worship the LORD in the splendor of his [d] holiness.

Tremble before him, all the earth!
The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved.

Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad;
let them say among the nations, "The LORD reigns!"

Let the sea resound, and all that is in it;
let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them!

Then the trees of the forest will sing,
they will sing for joy before the LORD,
for he comes to judge the earth.

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever.

Cry out, "Save us, O God our Savior;
gather us and deliver us from the nations,
that we may give thanks to your holy name,
that we may glory in your praise."

Praise be to the LORD, the God of Israel,
from everlasting to everlasting.
Then all the people said "Amen" and "Praise the LORD."

1 Chronicles 16:7-36



26 comments:

Lucy Stern said...

I can see that you have learned much going through all your trials. Just keep loving you God, wife, kids, friends and associates. You have seen much and you can teach much...

Don't eat too much turkey...

4evergapeach said...

curious servant - you are an inspiration of faith and a blessing to all that know you.

I wish for you and your family a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!

Corry said...

May God give you even more blessings to be thankful for. May He watch over you and your family and keep y'all from evil.

Kc and I join in praise and keep y'all in our prayers.

We wish you a very blessed and Happy Thanksgiving!

God's Grace.

Doug The Una said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Curious to you and yours.

Nancy French said...

Hey! Thanks for your transparency and your faith... they are refreshing and challenging...

Unknown said...

And thank you, my Brother.

From my family to yours, we wish you a most glorious day of realizing and being thankful for all we are blessed with!

God bless and be well:-)

And I give thanks for you!

ellen said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Maripat said...

CS: Happy Thanksgiving and God bless.

Anonymous said...

thanks to you for what you mean to me. i have learned so much from you. you live & walk the faith. sorry i missed the last fire! tim

Bethany said...

Have a lovely Thanksgiving Curious Servant! I thank God for all my blogging buddies! :P

Coco said...

I've just found your site,
and read through...
I am so sorry for your loss.

I haven't met you or family,
but through your words I feel that I know you.

Your writings made me reflect on my life- my parents' teachings, and the Lord's.

May God continue to give you and your family strength and comfort.

I will continue to visit you...
to see how you and your family are doing.

Blessings,
Coco

http://msestrella-duran.blogspot.com

Erin said...

I noticed some of the seeds you sowed today.

You are an easy man to encourage, because you are willing to share so deeply. I find you to be an excellent teacher, an encouraging brother, and a passionate testifier to God's power.

I am thankful for you too. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for you too. May you and your family have a wonderful thanksgiving day. God bless!

An Ordinary Christian said...

The LORD reigns!

Minka said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Curious Servant.

Anonymous said...

AMMMen, brother.

May you always be curious, and stay a servant. Jesus said they were the greatest among us.

Dear God: Thanks.

T. F. Stern said...

Thanks for being a good example and sharing deep thoughts.

Gigi said...

Thanks....for all that you do here and at our sites...your encouragement is always well recieved and I anxiously look to hear from you. I pray this THANKSGIVING is just more of you seeing Him in all that is happening...seeing Him in all the seeds that you are sowing here and I am sure in and with those around you....THANKS for inspiring so many of us to go deeper into finding Him and His will for our lives.....Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours....b

Fred said...

Very inspiring post. I hope you and yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Hope said...

Beautiful. Peace be with you. What I read between the lines in your posts is the depth of your hunger for God. God bless you.

David Edward said...

I never cease in my prayers to give thanks to God for you all. Peter, paul and mary v. 17

Vicki said...

You are such a blessing to me. The Lord bless you, my brother in Christ.

kenny said...

I am yet amazed with your thoughts that you deliver and how well you tell your journey. I am encouraged with your relationship with God...even in hardships and when we really don't understand. Keep it real!
Bless you and your family. I hope one day for a family too and listening to your fatherly words about your boys, brought tears to my eyes. May God provide for your every need.

Renee said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours also.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your heart. Your life experiences are musings help the rest of us to examine ourselves, our world and our relationship with our Creator. God bless you and Happy Thanksgiving!

I would like to add your blog to my blog roll.

Professor Jeff said...

I think giving Thanks is like washing of our hands and others, recognizing our love and devotion as a physical and spiritual family. Blessings to all.