Sunday, May 18, 2008

Hi There!

I wish I had something of value to drop into this little blog.

I have been writing, but it doesn't fit this blog (so it is at the more melodramatic one).

Additionally, the school year is wrapping up and that is a little different than a lot of people seem to think.

"So... things starting to slow down for the year?"

"I bet you are glad things are drwaing to a close and you can begin to relax as summer approaches."

Things like that.

The way things are for me is that things actually get busier. As the end of the school year nears the kids become more restless, less focused, a little more rambunctious.

Meanwhile, I am still trying to squeeze in as much into this trimester as I have the previous two.

And, there tends to be more assemblies, more field trips, more year end activities which whittle away at my time with them.

Lastly, this is my last chance to instill the habits and ethics children need to be succesful students, successful citizens. It is all the more important to do all the character building stuff as it needs to hold them until the fall.

I am most concerned about the eighth graders who go on to high school next year. So many of them are so immature, so sure they are right in everything, so unready to grasp the responsibilities high school will demand of them. In middle school they are top of the heap, lords of their domain, and next year they will be lowly freshman roaming halls with upper classmen who haven't the patience for wide-eyed kids.

So... I wish I had some wonderful theological insights to share. But the lessons I have been learning lately are a little to painful to share here.

But I'll be back.

Soon.

Real soon.

And I'm praying that I can start writing as little on that other blog as I have been on this one.

OK... one last parting insight... just for kicks...

I have learned a spiritual lesson that might fit here.

I am not nearly as clever as I'd like, and that it turns out that I have learned that I have a lot of reasons to be humble.

Not only am I small in the sense of one among 6.7 billion, but I am small in the sense that I spend so much time thinking about myself that I leave very little room for God... and He deserves all the room I can give him.

Alright, that doesn't sound very insightful. But like so many insights, they don't come across as important to others as they do to those who are beginning to internalize them.

So, in closing, I'll leave you with a quote that I used in my other blog which is clevver enough to spark introspection all on it own:

The destiny of mankind is not decided by material computation. When great causes are on the move, we learn that we are spirits, not animals, and that something is going on in space and time, and beyond space and time, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty.
--Winston Churchill, Rochester, New York, 1941





1 comment:

Fred said...

Because I have all AP classes, I'm actually finished for the year. All my kids have taken their AP exams. The only thing left is to administer class finals to the few juniors and seniors who need to take them.

Glad to hear from you, CS, and thanks for the great quote.